Installing a new modem can seem intimidating, especially if you’re not familiar with networking equipment. However, with the right tools and a little bit of know-how, you can easily set up your new modem and get your Cox Cable internet up and running.
Before you begin, it’s important to make sure you have all the necessary equipment and information. You’ll need your new modem, a coaxial cable, an Ethernet cable, and your account information from Cox Cable. You’ll also need to know your login credentials for the modem’s web-based configuration page.
Once you have everything you need, the installation process is fairly straightforward. You’ll need to connect the modem to your internet service provider’s coaxial outlet, connect your computer or router to the modem using an Ethernet cable, and then configure the modem using its web-based configuration page.
If you’re not sure how to do this, don’t worry – we’ll walk you through each step in detail in the following sections of this article. With a little bit of patience and attention to detail, you’ll be able to set up your new modem and get online in no time.
We also know how difficult it can be to pick out the right modem for your Cox self-install. Check out our Cox Approved Modems list to find the best modem for your service.
Ensuring you have all the supplies you need to perform your Cox self install is very important to ensure your activation goes smoothly. Please have the following items available to ensure a smooth installation process:
- Cox Compatible Cable Modem
- Power Cable
- Ethernet Cable
- Coaxial Cables (x2)
- 2-Way Signal Splitter
Choosing Your Connection Type for Your Cox Self Install
Option 1: Modem Only Connection
- Connect one end of your Coaxial F-connector cable into the wall outlet.
- Connect the other end of your Coaxial F-connector cable into the back of your cable modem.
Additional Information for Cox Advanced TV® Plus Kits:
Before continuing to step 2, make sure to connect your line filter:
- Connect the coaxial cable connected to the wall outlet into the top of your filter.
- Then, connect the filter to the back of your cable modem.
Option 2: Modem & TV Connection
- Connect one of a Coaxial (F-Connector) cable into your wall outlet.
- Connect the other end of that cable Coaxial cable into the “IN” side of your 2-way splitter.
- Connect another Coaxial cable from your TV to the “OUT” side of the 2-way splitter.
- Connect one end of another Coaxial cable into the “OUT” side of the 2-way splitter.
- Connect the coaxial cable connected to the “OUT” side of the splitter into the back of your cable modem.
- Connect the bottom part of the line filter into the back of your cable modem.
- Alternatively, you can connect the coaxial cable directly into the back of your modem, without the filter.
Connect Your Cable Modem to Your Computer
- Connect one end of an Ethernet cable to the Ethernet connection port on the back of your cable modem.
- Then connect the other end of that Ethernet cable into your computer’s Ethernet connection port.
- Connect the power supply cord to the back of your modem.
- Wait 5-10 minutes for your modem to boot up.
Restart Your Computer & Open A Web Browser
- Go to www.cox.com and click on My Connection.
- Click on Internet Tools and log in to:
- Set up your email account
- Change your @cox.net email account password
- Add secondary accounts
- Change secondary passwords
Congratulations! After completing all 4 of these steps, you’ve successfully completed your Cox self install! Let us know how it went in the comments!
How to Change Cox Modem WiFi Password
To change the WiFi password for your Cox modem, you can follow these steps:
- Connect to the modem: Connect your computer or device to the modem using an Ethernet cable or by connecting to the modem’s WiFi network.
- Access the modem’s configuration page: Open a web browser and type in the modem’s default IP address, which is usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. You will be prompted to enter your login credentials. If you don’t know your login credentials, you can check the modem’s documentation or contact Cox customer support for assistance.
- Navigate to the WiFi settings: Once you are logged in, you can navigate to the WiFi settings page, which is usually found under a section such as “Wireless,” “WiFi,” or “Wireless Network.”
- Change the password: Look for the option to change the WiFi password and enter your new password. Make sure to choose a strong and unique password to protect your network.
- Save your changes: Once you have entered your new password, be sure to save your changes and apply the new settings.
By following these steps, you can change the WiFi password for your Cox modem and secure your home network. If you have any issues or need further assistance, you can contact Cox customer support for help.
How to Cancel Cox Internet
To cancel your Cox internet service, you can follow these steps:
- Contact Cox customer support: You can contact Cox customer support through their website or by calling their customer service hotline. They will be able to help you cancel your service and assist you with any questions or concerns you may have.
- Provide your account information: Have your account information, such as your account number and service address, ready when you contact Cox. This will help them locate your account and process the cancellation more efficiently.
- Follow the cancellation process: Cox will likely have a process in place for cancelling your internet service. Follow their instructions and provide any information or documents they request.
- Return any equipment: If you have any equipment from Cox, such as a modem or router, you will need to return it according to their instructions. You may be charged a fee if you do not return the equipment in a timely manner.
- Confirm the cancellation: Make sure to get confirmation of the cancellation from Cox and keep a record of it in case you are charged for service after the cancellation date.
By following these steps, you can cancel your Cox internet service in a smooth and efficient manner. If you have any questions or concerns during the cancellation process, don’t hesitate to contact Cox customer support for assistance.
Cox Modem Activation FAQ
How do I find a modem that is compatible with Cox?
To find a modem that is compatible with Cox, you can follow these steps:
- Check with Cox: Contact Cox customer support or visit their website to see a list of modems that are recommended and/or approved for use with their internet service. This will help ensure that you are getting a modem that is fully compatible with their network.
- Check out our Cox Compatible Modems List
- Consider your service plan: Make sure the modem you choose is compatible with your specific Cox service plan. Different plans may have different requirements in terms of speed and bandwidth, so it’s important to choose a modem that can support your needs.
- Look for the DOCSIS standard: Cox uses the DOCSIS (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) standard for its internet service. Make sure the modem you choose is also DOCSIS compatible to ensure it will work with Cox’s network.
- Check the manufacturer’s website: You can also check the manufacturer’s website to see if the modem you are considering is listed as compatible with Cox. This can help confirm that the modem will work with Cox’s network.
By following these steps, you can find a modem that is compatible with your Cox internet service and meets your needs. It’s important to note that using a non-approved or incompatible modem may result in poor performance or connectivity issues, so it’s always a good idea to check with Cox and the manufacturer to confirm compatibility before making a purchase.
My computer is not recognizing that I've plugged in the modem, what do I do?
If your computer is not recognizing that you’ve plugged in the modem, there are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:
- Check the modem: Make sure the modem is properly plugged in and all the cables are securely connected. Check for any visible damage or loose connections.
- Check the USB port: If you are using a USB modem, make sure the USB port on your computer is working properly. You can try using a different USB port or testing the port with a different device to see if it is functioning correctly.
- Check the driver: If the modem is a USB device, make sure you have the correct driver installed on your computer. You can check the manufacturer’s website for the latest driver or try updating the driver through your operating system’s device manager.
- Restart the computer: Sometimes a simple restart can resolve issues with devices not being recognized. Try restarting your computer and see if it recognizes the modem after it starts back up.
- Check the modem settings: If the modem has a web-based configuration page, you can check the settings to make sure it is configured correctly. Make sure the modem is set to the correct mode (such as bridge or router mode) and that it is connected to the internet.
If these steps don’t resolve the issue, it’s possible that the modem may be defective. In this case, you may need to contact the manufacturer or your internet service provider for further assistance.
How do I know what modem is right for my Cox internet service?
To determine what modem is right for your Cox internet service, consider the following factors:
- Compatibility: Make sure the modem is compatible with Cox’s network. You can check with our Cox Compatible Modems List, Cox customer service or the manufacturer to confirm compatibility.
- Speed: Consider the speed of the modem. Cox offers speeds ranging from 10 Mbps to 1 Gbps, so choose a modem that can support the speed tier you are paying for.
- Features: Look for features such as WiFi 6, beamforming, and mesh technology to enhance your home network.
- Range: If you have a large home or multiple floors, consider a modem with a strong signal and good coverage range.
- Brand reputation: Choose a reputable brand with good customer support and a history of producing reliable products.
- Price: Determine your budget and look for a modem that offers the features and performance you need at a price point you are comfortable with.
- Customer reviews: Read customer reviews and ratings to get an idea of the pros and cons of different modems.
By considering these factors, you can find a modem that meets your needs and provides a strong, reliable connection for your Cox internet service. It’s important to note that using a non-approved or incompatible modem may result in poor performance or connectivity issues, so it’s always a good idea to check with Cox and the manufacturer to confirm compatibility before making a purchase.