Arris CM820A Product Details
Support a small, US-Based business and stop renting your cable modem from your internet provider! The Arris CM820A DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem is one of the most cost-effective models available today. This model gives you the most features for your money such as high speed wired data speeds, enhanced security, and parental controls, among others. This model is also compatible with several major US cable providers including Comcast Xfinity, Mediacom, Suddenlink, Time Warner and Spectrum. As a result of this model’s wide compatibility, it’s easy to use this model – even if you relocate to another service area.
Arris CM820A Specs
The Touchstone DOCSIS 3.0 8×4 Cable Modem CM820A delivers ultra-high speed data access to cable service sufficient for both home and business use. Designed to support the services desired most by users, the CM820A enables the home or small business to be productive with the speed and performance found only in devices with 8×4 channel bonding. This model is also one of the most reliable sold on ModemGuides, and is highly recommended to our customers seeking the most cost-effective way of removing their monthly modem rental fee.
Speeds included with the CM820A
The Arris CM820A comes equipped with 8×4 channel bonding which allows support for download speeds up to 343 Mbps according to the manufacturer’s website. We recommend pairing this model with an inexpensive router to take full advantage of your home network. The speeds offered with this model compete well with other models available today, especially when cost of equipment is being factored into the equation. As a result, this Arris modem is the perfect fit for home or business use and allows customers to remove their modem rental fee for as little up-front investment as possible.
Does the CM820A Work with Comcast Xfinity?
In most locations in the US, Comcast does support the CM820A, however it’s always a good idea to give them a call before you go ahead and purchase this for your service. Compatibility can be influenced by your service location as well as the plan you’re on with Comcast. We always recommend checking with your provider before ordering to prevent any compatibility issues.
Here’s our guide on self-installing your Comcast Xfinity cable modem so you can see exactly how quick and easy it is to get your new CM820A activated.
- Arris CM820A Cable Modem
- Ethernet Cable
- Power Supply Cable
- Online Installation Manual
Will this work with my internet company?
This Arris modem is primarily used and is compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum, Charter, Time Warner Cable, Mediacom, & Suddenlink service in most areas. To verify that this model will work in your area, always contact your service provider’s customer service prior to placing your order with us to confirm that this model will work with your service plan. Some service plan speeds may not be supported.
Arris CM820A Manual & Product Guides
How to Activate Arris CM820A
Activating your Arris CM820A is the first step you need to take after unboxing your new modem. It’s a fairly simple process, and we recommend setting aside about an hour of your time to ensure you’re able to complete the whole activation.
- Plug in your new modem the same as the one it’s replacing. Make sure power cable is plugged in and coaxial cable is screwed in on the back as well. It’s recommended to do this and then wait an hour before calling your provider, if possible, so that your modem can download whatever firmware is needed for the activation.
- Next, call your provider and let them know that you’re doing an activation with a self-install of your new modem. They’ll ask you for a few of the numbers on the bottom of the unit and then proceed to get your modem added to your account and service plan.
- The call will end after the representative verifies with you that you have an internet connection. You can test this for yourself simply by visiting a few websites.
Your modem is now activated!
How to Reset Arris CM820A
Resetting your Arris CM820A is one of the easiest ways to correct almost all common technical issues that you may experience over the life of your modem. It’s a super handy tool to have in your troubleshooting repertoire and can save you hours on the phone with your provider. Here’s how it’s done:
- Plug your modem in to the power supply and wait 2 minutes for it to boot up fully. You’ll know it’s booted fully when the wireless lights come on.
- Locate the reset button on the back of the modem. It’ll be on the same side where all the ports are located. Generally reset buttons on this kind of device will just be a tiny hole that may or may not be labeled.
- You’ll need a flattened paperclip or pen cartridge to do this next part. Press down and hold the reset button for 30 seconds with your modem still plugged in. You should feel a small dull click when you press in the reset button with your paperclip.
- Now wait a few minutes for your modem to reset and reboot itself. You’ll know it’s finished and ready to use when the WiFi lights come back on.
Tip: Still not resetting? Try just holding down for 15 or 20 seconds instead of the full 30. Some firmware versions differ on the number of seconds needed for a reset.
How to Find Your IP Address
This method works on Windows computers and does not require any software to be downloaded. You’ll be using command prompt to find the internal IP address so you can log into your WiFi router or modem router’s settings panel.
- Click the start menu in the bottom left of your screen.
- In the search bar in your start menu, type in “cmd.exe” and then click on that program when it appears in the search.
- When the program opens, you’ll see a black window on your screen with white text.
- Type into the program “ipconfig“, then hit Enter. Your window should look like the one shown below. The IP address circled below shows where your internal IP address will be on your command prompt window. Now you can move on to accessing your modem or modem router’s settings admin panel.