Arris SB6183 Product Details
The ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 is a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem supporting up to 16 downstream and four upstream bonded channels to deliver a powerful high-speed internet experience. The SB6183 is best for internet speed plans up to 300 Mbps. Stop spending money renting your modem. With DOCSIS speeds up to 686 Mbps, the Arris SB6183 offers you more speed, more network capability, faster streaming, and downloading throughout your home. This modem features 16×4 channel bonding for blazing-fast speeds & reliability. Own yours today!
Maximize the power of your home network with SURFboard
The SURFboard Motorola SB6183 is a DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem capable of bonding up to 16 downstream and 4 upstream channels. Surf the internet faster and save money every month on your cable internet bill! This model is the best fit for cable internet speed plans up to 400 Mbps. Stop spending money on monthly rental fees. Power your home network with the SURFboard SB6183.
Arris SB6183 Compatibility
The SURFboard SB6183 is compatible with major U.S. cable providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity, and others. To prevent activation issues, ModemGuides technicians always recommend contacting your provider to confirm compatibility prior to placing your order with us.
SB6183 Additional Features
This model is a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, supporting wired connections. It’s one ethernet port can be hooked into any WiFi router, allowing for instant wireless connections throughout your home. If you prefer to do without wireless for any reason, you can also attach a wired network switch to the SB6183, and connect all of your devices directly. A wired cable modem like the SB6183 allows you the most flexibility for future wireless upgrades since wireless technology is constantly evolving. Conversely, DOCSIS technology only upgrades every few years or so. Purchasing a standalone cable modem like this model allows you to attach a new router at any time, leaving your options open and saving you $ in the long term.
- Arris SB6183 Cable Modem
- Ethernet Cable
- Power Supply Cable
- Online Installation Manual
Will this work with my internet company?
This Arris SurfBoard cable modem is primarily used and is compatible with Atlantic Broadband, Comcast, Spectrum, Charter, Time Warner, Mediacom, Cox, & Suddenlink service in most areas. To verify that this model will work in your area, always contact your service provider’s customer service prior to placing your order with us to confirm that this model will work with your service plan. Some service plan speeds may not be supported.
Arris SB6183 Manual & Product Guides
How to Activate Arris SB6183
Activating your Arris SB6183 is the first step you need to take after unboxing your new modem. It’s a fairly simple process, and we recommend setting aside about an hour of your time to ensure you’re able to complete the whole activation.
- Plug in your new modem the same as the one it’s replacing. Make sure power cable is plugged in and coaxial cable is screwed in on the back as well. It’s recommended to do this and then wait an hour before calling your provider, if possible, so that your modem can download whatever firmware is needed for the activation.
- Next, call your provider and let them know that you’re doing an activation with a self-install of your new modem. They’ll ask you for a few of the numbers on the bottom of the unit and then proceed to get your modem added to your account and service plan.
- The call will end after the representative verifies with you that you have an internet connection. You can test this for yourself simply by visiting a few websites.
Your modem is now activated!
How to Reset Arris SB6183
Resetting your Arris SB6183 is one of the easiest ways to correct almost all common technical issues that you may experience over the life of your modem. It’s a super handy tool to have in your troubleshooting repertoire and can save you hours on the phone with your provider. Here’s how it’s done:
- Plug your modem in to the power supply and wait 2 minutes for it to boot up fully. You’ll know it’s booted fully when the wireless lights come on.
- Locate the reset button on the back of the modem. It’ll be on the same side where all the ports are located. Generally reset buttons on this kind of device will just be a tiny hole that may or may not be labeled.
- You’ll need a flattened paperclip or pen cartridge to do this next part. Press down and hold the reset button for 30 seconds with your modem still plugged in. You should feel a small dull click when you press in the reset button with your paperclip.
- Now wait a few minutes for your modem to reset and reboot itself. You’ll know it’s finished and ready to use when the WiFi lights come back on.
Tip: Still not resetting? Try just holding down for 15 or 20 seconds instead of the full 30. Some firmware versions differ on the number of seconds needed for a reset.
How to Find Your IP Address
This method works on Windows computers and does not require any software to be downloaded. You’ll be using command prompt to find the internal IP address so you can log into your WiFi router or modem router’s settings panel.
- Click the start menu in the bottom left of your screen.
- In the search bar in your start menu, type in “cmd.exe” and then click on that program when it appears in the search.
- When the program opens, you’ll see a black window on your screen with white text.
- Type into the program “ipconfig“, then hit Enter. Your window should look like the one shown below. The IP address circled below shows where your internal IP address will be on your command prompt window. Now you can move on to accessing your modem or modem router’s settings admin panel.